- Developing the tools and approaches to design and effectively manage future and existing MPAs
- Advancing successful approaches to ensure MPAs are sustainable and resilient through: community engagement and advocacy; monitoring and evaluation; and compliance and enforcement tools.
Global commitments have accelerated the degree to which countries develop, implement and actively manage MPAs. In 2010, 196 states adopted the Aichi target 11 calling for 10% of coastal and marine areas to be conserved by 2020. Many countries have signaled a commitment to protecting 30% of the land and sea by 2030.
As nations commit to these ambitious protection targets, the challenge of designing and managing effective MPAs will require approaches, resources and tools that are sustainable, inclusive and resilient.
Key questions to focus discussion and support proposal development
- What are the enabling conditions required for the successful design and management of effective MPAs?
- What are the barriers for successfully designing and managing effective MPAs and how are these successfully being overcome?
- While ensuring ocean health as a priority, how do we simultaneously ensure effective ocean protection and manage ocean-based human activities?