The 5th International Marine Protected Areas Congress (IMPAC5) is an opportunity for the global community of marine conservation managers, practitioners and decision makers to exchange knowledge, experience and best practices to strengthen the conservation of marine biodiversity and to protect the natural and cultural heritage of the ocean. The goals of IMPAC5 are:
- To demonstrate global support for marine conservation efforts such as networks of marine protected areas and marine spatial planning.
- To provide an opportunity to celebrate and galvanize global cooperation in marine conservation.
- To provide an opportunity for countries to come together to chart a course towards a post-2020 biodiversity framework for ocean conservation.
- To showcase the important role of marine protected areas in addressing the climate crisis and conserving biodiversity in a post-pandemic world.
- To share what is uniquely Canadian: the vast marine and coastal environment, the rich diversity of local and Indigenous peoples and coastal cultures, our collective efforts, and our world-class ocean science and management regime.